Herbs have been used cosmetics from centuries. Over the past three decade the use of herbal medicine product and supplement has increased due to their safety and efficacy towards various disease and disorder. Herbs have potential treat various skin disorder and improve skin appearance. Due to the too much exposure of sun UV rays causes sun burn, wrinkle, premature ageing and skin cancer also. For the prevention of sun burn or skin disorder various natural herbs are used by population. These natural herbs may show antioxidant, antiageing, antiinflammatory, and antimutagenic properties. Antioxidant such as vitamin-C, vitamin-E, flavonoids, polyphenols play important role to prevent free radical spices that are main causes of skin disorder. The whole herbs extract also show good effect due to their complex compositions. This review covers various herbs and whole herbal extract used in skin protection from sun burn.
Cite this article:
Karanveer Gautam, Vinay Pandit, M. S. Ashawat. Herbs used in Skin Protection from Ultravoilet Sun Radiation. Research J. Topical and Cosmetic Sci. 2020; 11(2):95-97. doi: 10.5958/2321-5844.2020.00017.5
Karanveer Gautam, Vinay Pandit, M. S. Ashawat. Herbs used in Skin Protection from Ultravoilet Sun Radiation. Research J. Topical and Cosmetic Sci. 2020; 11(2):95-97. doi: 10.5958/2321-5844.2020.00017.5 Available on: https://rjtcsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-11-2-9
1. Bhatia S, Sharma K, Namdeo AG, Chaugule BB, Kavale M, Nanda S. Broad-spectrum sun-protective action of Porphyra-334 derived from Porphyra Vietnamensis. Phcog Res. 2010; 2:45–9.
2. Singh Shivani, Garg Garima, Garg Vipin, Gangwar Satyam, and Sharma P.K.: Sun screen An Introductory Review. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2010, 3(8), 1857-1864.
3. Mukund Manikrao Donglikar and Sharada Laxman Deore Sunscreen: A review. Pharmacognosy Journal, Vol 8 Issue3, May – June, 2016.
4. Mukund Manikrao Donglikar and Sharada Laxman Deore Developmemt and Evaluation of herbal sunscreen. Pharmacogn J. 2017; 9(1):83-97.
5. AK Mohiuddin Sunscreen and Suntan Preparation. ARC Journal of Pharmaceutical Science (AJPS) Volume 5, Issue 2, 2019 pp8-44.
6. Elizagela Abreu Dutra, Daniella Almanca, Goncalves da costae Oliveira, Erika Rosa Mariakedor- Hackmann, Maria Ines Rocha Miritello Santoro Determination of sun protection factor SPF of sunscreen by ultra violet spectrophotometry. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Science Vol. 40, n.3, July/set.,2004.
7. Deep Chanchal and Saraf Swarnlata Herbal photoprotective formulation and their Evaluation. The open Natural product Journal 2009, 2, 71-76.
8. AK Mishra, A Mishra and P Chattopadhyay Herbal Cosmeceuticals for photoprotection from ultervoilet B Radition a Review. Tropic Journal of Pharmaceutical Research June 2011, 10(3): 351-360.
9. Reena Rai, Shanmuga Sekar C, Srinivas CR Update on P hotoprotection. Indian Journal of Dermatology 2012; 57(5).
10. Snehal. S Kulkarni, Rasika D Bhalke, Vishal V Pande, Prakash. N kendre Herbal plant in photo protection and sun screening action: An Overview. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2014: 4(02). 1104-1113.
11. Karla Rodriguez Sunscreen and effect of oxybenzone online. Journal of Complimentary and Alternative Medicine Dec 2018, 1-2.
12. Jangde Rajendra, Daharawal S.J. Herbal Sunscreen: AN Overview. Research J. Topical and Cosmetic Science. 2(2): July- Dec 2011. Page No. 35-39.
13. Cummings SR, Tripp MK, Herrmann NB. Approaches to the prevention and control of skin cancer. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 1997; 16: 309–27.
14. Mithal BM, Saha RN. A Handbook of Cosmetics. New Delhi: Vallabh Prakashan; 2006.